In an effort to follow the best practices described in the articles I’ve been following, I used ePubCheck to validate my ePub files (the main book and the sample) before submitting them to iTunes. When I checked both files, I received an error telling me I had an “Undeclared prefix: iBooks”. I scoured the Internet for information on this error and found almost nothing on this error. I did get quite a bit of assistance from a gentleman at fantasycastlebooks.com.
Scot Johns knows quite a bit about the XHTML coding involved in writing ePub and gave me the code to fix my problem, but I could not figure out how to make the substitution of his code for mine. He gave me instructions that apparently work well on a PC, but not on a Mac. Thank you Scot for your help.
After several hours of unsuccessful effort, I decided to upload my files to iTunes and let them tell me that the code my validation efforts had given me were actually show stoppers. After all, they seemed like such small errors.
Well, I did have show stopping errors. Some of my artwork assets were the wrong sizes, but iTunes liked my files just fine.
I corrected the cover art and screen shot file sizes and the entire package uploaded without a problem. Now we just have to see how long it takes for the book to be available on iBooks!